On 5/13/16, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So I think we should solve these problems at a stroke, and save ourselves
>> lots of breath in the future, by getting rid of the whole "major major"
>> idea and going over to a two-part version numbering scheme.  To be
>> specific:
>>
>> * This year's major release will be 9.6.0, with minor updates 9.6.1,
>> 9.6.2, etc.  It's too late to do otherwise for this release cycle.
>>
>> * Next year's major release will be 10.0, with minor updates 10.1,
>> 10.2, etc.
>>
>> * The year after, 11.0.  Etc cetera.
>>
>> No confusion, no surprises, no debate ever again about what the next
>> version number is.
>>
>> This is by no means a new idea, but I think its time has come.
>
> Man, I hate version number inflation.

+1

> I'm running Firefox 45.0.2, and I think that's crazy. It hit 1.0 when were
> at aversion 7.4! Granted, this wouldn't be that bad, but

+1
Big numbers in version don't show big (or even equal) changes. How to
compare 7.0…8.0 and 8.0…9.0 and 9.0…9.6(10.0?)?
Is difference between FireFox 10.0…20.0 the same as FireFox 20.0…30.0?

> I have always thought that burning through a first digit a few times a decade
> is much more sensible than doing it every year.
> We just have to remember to bump the first digit occasionally.

+1
Better once a decade. =)

> If we don't want to stick with the current practice of debating when
> to bump the same digit, then let's agree that 10.0 will follow 9.6 and
> after that we'll bump the first digit after X.4, as we did with 7.X
> and 8.X.

Why just don't agree that since each release has good features and we
can't release multiple backward-incompatible features at one release
there is no sense of bumping the first digit earlier than the second
one reaches the value "9"?

Pretend the current version is not 9.5, but 95 (PostgreSQL 95),
current beta not 9.6 but 96 etc, but just divided by 10.

In fact it is similar to Tom's offer but avoided proposed bump to 10.0
and left increasing by 0.1 instead of 1.0:
curnt   Tom's proposed
 9.5.X  9.5.X
 9.6.X  9.6.X
 9.7.X 10.X