On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> On 30 June 2016 at 20:19, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hmm, so what about a pure 32bit build, if such a thing still exists?  If
>> > so and it causes the same crash, perhaps we should have one member for
>> > each VS version running on 32bit x86.
>>
>> It's fine for a pure 32-bit build, i.e. 32-bit tools and 32-bit target. I
>> tested that.
>
> Ah, okay.  I doubt it's worth setting up buildfarm members testing all
> cross-compiles just to try and catch possible compiler bugs that way, so
> unless somebody wants to invest more effort in this area, it seems we're
> done here.

Sure. To be honest just using the latest version of MSVC available for
the builds is fine I think. Windows is very careful regarding
backward-compatibility of its compiled stuff usually, even if by using
VS2015 you make the builds of Postgres incompatible with XP. But
software is a world that keeps moving on, and XP is already out of
support by Redmond.
--
Michael