On 8/11/16 4:54 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
which probably contributes to Jim's confusion.  I think what is happening
in the trouble case is that since IS has lower precedence than Op, the
grammar decides it ought to resolve || as a postfix operator, and then
it effectively has

FWIW, is() || is() blows up in the same way.

I'm not sure there's much we can do about this.  Even if we had control of
what Bison prints for syntax errors, which we don't really, it's hard to
see what condition we could trigger the hint on that wouldn't result in
false positives at least as often as something helpful.  (Note that the
grammar's behavior can't really depend on whether a function named is()
actually exists in the catalogs.)

Is there a place in the error reporting path where we'd still have access to the 'is' token, and have enough control to look for a relevant function?
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461