On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:16:44AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Nor will I buy an argument that only a few developers have need for test
> installations.  Ordinary users will want to do that anytime they are
> doing preliminary tests on a new PG version before migrating their
> production database to it.  To the extent that you make manual selection
> of a nonstandard datadir location more difficult and error-prone, you
> are hurting them too.

Not only that.  For safety's sake, you may need to run multiple
postmasters on one machine (so that database user X can't DoS
database user Y, for instance).  And making that sort of
production-grade work more difficult and error-prone would also be
bad.

----
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110