On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2016-09-02 09:05:35 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>>> In general, we've been skeptical about giving any guarantees about
>>> result ordering.
>
> Well, it's historically how we behaved for SRFs.

And until we had synchronized scans a sequential scan always
returned rows in the order they were present in the heap.
Implementation details are not guarantees.

> I'm pretty sure that people will be confused if
> SELECT generate_series(1, 10) FROM sometbl;
> suddenly returns rows in an order that reverse from what
> generate_series() returns.

If this changes, it is probably worth a mentioning in the release
notes.

>> I think it is a very bad idea to move away from the statement that
>> a query generates a set of rows, and that no order is guaranteed
>> unless the top level has an ORDER BY clause.  How hard is it to add
>> ORDER BY 1, 2 to the above query?  Let the optimizer notice when a
>> node returns data in the needed order and skip the sort if possible.
>
> There's no such infrastructure for SRFS/ROWS FROM.

Well, that's something to fix (or not), but not a justification for
"except on Tuesdays when the moon is full" sorts of exceptions to
simple rules about what to expect.  No ORDER BY means no order
guaranteed.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com