This patch will need some changes to conversion_error_callback(). That
function reports an error in case there was an error converting the
result obtained from the foreign server into an internal datum e.g.
when the string returned by the foreign server is not acceptable by
local input function for the expected datatype. In such cases, the
input function will throw error and conversion_error_callback() will
provide appropriate context for that error. postgres_fdw.sql has tests
to test proper context
-- conversion error
ALTER FOREIGN TABLE ft1 ALTER COLUMN c8 TYPE int;
SELECT * FROM ft1 WHERE c1 = 1; -- ERROR
SELECT ft1.c1, ft2.c2, ft1.c8 FROM ft1, ft2 WHERE ft1.c1 = ft2.c1
AND ft1.c1 = 1; -- ERROR
SELECT ft1.c1, ft2.c2, ft1 FROM ft1, ft2 WHERE ft1.c1 = ft2.c1 AND
ft1.c1 = 1; -- ERROR
ALTER FOREIGN TABLE ft1 ALTER COLUMN c8 TYPE user_enum;
Right now we report the column name in the error context. This needs
to change for aggregate pushdown, which is pushing down expressions.
Right now, in case the aggregate on foreign server produces a string
unacceptable locally, it would crash at
4982 Assert(IsA(var, Var));
4984 rte = rt_fetch(var->varno, estate->es_range_table);
since it's not a Var node as expected.
We need to fix the error context to provide meaningful information or
at least not crash. This has been discussed briefly in .
On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Jeevan Chalke
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Jeevan Chalke
> <jeevan.cha...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Ashutosh for the detailed review comments.
>> I am working on it and will post updated patch once I fix all your
> Attached new patch fixing the review comments.
> Here are few comments on the review points:
> 1. Renamed deparseFromClause() to deparseFromExpr() and
> deparseAggOrderBy() to appendAggOrderBy()
> 2. Done
> 3. classifyConditions() assumes list expressions of type RestrictInfo. But
> HAVING clause expressions (and JOIN conditions) are plain expressions. Do
> you mean we should modify the classifyConditions()? If yes, then I think it
> should be done as a separate (cleanup) patch.
> 4, 5. Both done.
> 6. Per my understanding, I think checking for just aggregate function is
> enough as we are interested in whole aggregate result. Meanwhile I will
> check whether we need to find and check shippability of transition,
> combination and finalization functions or not.
> 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. All done.
> 13. Fixed. However instead of adding new function made those changes inline.
> Adding support for deparsing List expressions separating list by comma can
> considered as cleanup patch as it will touch other code area not specific to
> aggregate push down.
> 14, 15, 16, 17. All done.
> 18. I think re-factoring estimate_path_cost_size() should be done separately
> as a cleanup patch too.
> 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28. All done.
> 29. I have tried passing input rel's relids to fetch_upper_rel() call in
> create_grouping_paths(). It solved this patch's issue, but ended up with
> few regression failures which is mostly plan changes. I am not sure whether
> we get good plan now or not as I have not analyzed them.
> So for this patch, I am setting relids in add_foreign_grouping_path()
> However as suggested, used bms_copy(). I still kept the FIXME over there as
> I think it should have done by the core itself.
> 30, 31, 32, 33. All done.
> Let me know your views.
> Jeevan B Chalke
> Principal Software Engineer, Product Development
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
The Postgres Database Company
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (email@example.com)
To make changes to your subscription: