On 10/5/16 9:58 AM, Francisco Olarte wrote:
Is the system catalog a bottleneck for people who has real use for
paralell vacuum? I mean, to me someone who does this must have a very
big db on a big iron. If that does not consist of thousands and
thousands of smallish relations, it will normally be some very big
tables and a much smaller catalog.

Not necessarily. Anyone that makes extensive use of temp tables can end up with a very large (and bloated) pg_attribute. AFAIK you can actually create "temp" versions of any object that lives in a schema by specifying pg_temp as the schema, but in practice I don't think you'll really see anything other than pg_attribute get really large. So it would be nice if pg_attribute could be done in parallel, but I suspect it's one of the catalog tables that could be causing these problems.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461