Tom Lane wrote:
> Vitaly Burovoy <> writes:
> > P.S.: I still think it is a good idea to change storage format,
> I'm not sure which part of "no" you didn't understand, but we're
> not breaking on-disk compatibility of existing macaddr columns.
> Breaking the on-the-wire binary I/O representation seems like a
> nonstarter as well.

I think the suggestion was to rename macaddr to macaddr6 or similar,
keeping the existing behavior and the current OID.  So existing columns
would continue to work fine and maintain on-disk compatibility, but any
newly created columns would become the 8-byte variant.

Álvaro Herrera

Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (