Bruce Badger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I suppose that the client can just keep retrying the connection with
> different versions until it gets a match, though.

Right now, the backend just barfs with
        FATAL: unsupported frontend protocol
so you have to do a blind search to see what it will take.

It would probably be a good idea to improve that message to mention
exactly what range of protocol versions the backend does support.
However, this will do you little good for talking to existing backends
:-(