On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 01:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> Justin Clift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Would it be cool to decide on the version numbering of our next release
> > like this:
> >   + If it looks like we'll have Win32 and/or PITR recovery in time for
> >     the next release, we call it PostgreSQL 8.0
> >   + If not, we call it 7.4
>
> Works for me: release schedule is solid, what we call it gets decided
> at the last minute ;-)

Personally I think Justin is a little off base with his criteria, since
I see the FE/BE protocol changes as the real differentiator between an
8.0 and 7.4. Everyone is effected by a FE/BE protocol change, not nearly
so many are effected by either win32 or PITR. And think of this crazy
scenario: We release an 8.0 with PITR, then need either a 8.1 or a 9.0
with a FE/BE overhaul, then need a possible 10.0 because we've added
win32... yuk.

That said, I'll take Tom's position on this that we might as well worry
about whether it's going to be 7.4 or 8.0 once we hit feature freeze; by
then the whole discussion could be irrelevant.

Robert Treat