On 12 Dec. 2016 22:22, "Merlin Moncure" <mmonc...@gmail.com> wrote:

 If we really wanted to fix this, maybe the right way
to think about the problem is a highly reduced character set and a
pre-processor or an extension.

I'm pretty OK with expecting client drivers not to be stupid and offer
escape syntax for their placeholders. I was kind of astonished the jdbc
spec doesn't given how hard it works to be compatible. I'd assumed the ??
was jdbc standard not a postgres extension until I looked into it.

Certainly PDO needs a patch for its postgres driver if not (preferably) to
support escaping at a higher level.

Users can work around it by defining their own operator aliases + opclasses
or using function forms.

Doesn't seem worth too much drama though it sucks for usability.