> I do not like the choice of "elseif", which exists in PHP & VB. PL/pgSQL
> has "ELSIF" like perl, that I do not like much, though. Given the syntax
> and behavioral proximity with cpp, I suggest that "elif" would be a better
> choice.

I'm personally indifferent to elif vs elsif vs elseif, but I think elseif
was the consensus. It's easy enough to change.

> Documentation: I do not think that the systematic test-like example in the
> documentation is relevant, a better example should be shown. The list of
> what is considered true or false should be told explicitely, not end with
> "etc" that is everyone to guess.

It was copied from the regression test. I knew there would be follow-up
suggestions for what should be shown.

> Tests: On principle they should include echos in all non executed branches
> to reassure that they are indeed not executed.

Will do.

> Also, no error cases are tested. They should be. Maybe it is not very easy
> to test some cases which expect to make psql generate errors, but I feel
> they are absolutely necessary for such a feature.

Will do.

> 1: unrecognized value "whatever" for "\if"; assuming "on"
>
> I do not think that the script should continue with such an assumption.

I agree, and this means we can't use ParseVariableBool() as-is. I already
broke out argument reading to it's own function, knowing that it'd be the
stub for expressions. So I guess we start that now. What subset of true-ish
values do you think we should support? If we think that real expressions
are possible soon, we could only allow 'true' and 'false' for now, but if
we expect that expressions might not make it into v10, then perhaps we
should support the same text values that coerce to booleans on the server
side.

> 2: encountered \else after \else ... "# ERROR BEFORE"
>
> Even with ON_ERROR_STOP activated the execution continues.

> 3: no \endif
>
> Error reported, but it does not stop even with ON_ERROR_STOP.
>
> 4: include with bad nesting...
>
> Again, even with ON_ERROR_STOP, the execution continues...

All valid issues. Will add those to the regression as well (with
ON_ERROR_STOP disabled, obviously).

> Code:
>
>   -       if (status != PSQL_CMD_ERROR)
>   +       if ((status != PSQL_CMD_ERROR) && psqlscan_branch_active(scan_st
> ate))
>
> Why the added parenthesis?

Will fix.

>   case ...: case ...:
>
> The project rules are to add explicit /* PASSTHROUGH */ comment.

Will do.

> There are spaces at the end of one line in a comment about
> psqlscan_branch_end_state.
>
> There are multiple "TODO" comments in the file... Is it done or work in
> progress?

I forgot to remove them. But it would be wildly optimistic of me to think
there would be no more work for me after the first patch submission.

> Usually in pg comments about a function do not repeat the function name.
> For very short comment, they are /* inlined */ on one line. Use pg comment
> style.

In that case, I was copying the style found in other functions psqlscan.l -
I'm happy to remove it.