The guts of pqRowProcessor in libpq does a good bit of work to maintain the
internal data structure of a PGresult.  There are a few use cases where the
caller doesn't need the ability to access the result set row by row, column by
column using PQgetvalue.  Think of an ORM that is just going to copy the data
from PGresult for each row into its own structures.

I've got a working proof of concept that allows the caller to attach a callback
that pqRowProcessor will call instead of going thru its own routine.  This
eliminates all the copying of data from the PGconn buffer to a PGresult buffer
and then ultimately a series of PQgetvalue calls by the client.  The callback
allows the caller to receive each row's data directly from the PGconn buffer.

It would require exposing struct pgDataValue in libpq-fe.h.  The prototype for
the callback pointer would be:
int (*PQrowProcessorCB)(PGresult*, const PGdataValue*, int col_count, void
*user_data);

My initial testing shows a significant performance improvement.  I'd like some
opinions on this before wiring up a performance proof and updating the
documentation for a formal patch submission.

Kyle Gearhart