On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:
> To be clear, I am not asking for any kind of special exception for
> myself.
>
> I continue to be of the opinion that this entire discussion is quite
> flipped from how we really should be running things- adding regression
> tests to improve code coverage, particularly when they're simply adding
> to the existing structure for those tests, should be strongly encouraged
> both before and after feature-freeze.

Any policy which permits a 3000 line code drop, whether to the
regression tests or otherwise, without prior discussion is, IMHO, a
very bad policy.  It's not as if regression tests never break anything
or cause any problems.  Do they need the same level of review as WARM
or rewriting the executor's expression evaluation?  No.  Does that
mean that they should totally bypass all of the review and discussion
that we do for other patches?  No.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company