On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Maybe. It depends on how valuable it's to keep Gather and GatherMerge
> similar - having nreaders in one and not the other seems a bit weird. But
> maybe the refactoring would remove it from both nodes?

Yeah, it appears to be the case that both Gather and GatherMerge
inevitably end up with nworkers_launched == nreaders, which seems
dumb.  If we're going to clean this up, I think we should  make them
both match.

> Also, it does not really solve the issue that we're using 'nreaders' or
> 'nworkers_launched' to access array with one extra element.

I'm not clear that there's any fundamental solution to that problem
other than trying to clarify it through comments.

Meantime, I think it's not good to leave this crashing, so I pushed
Rushabh's v2 patch for the actual crash for now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company