On 04/26/2017 10:14 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
JD,

Having COMMENT ON accept a general query whose result is then cast to
text and stored as the comment would allow this to be done, eg:

COMMENT ON table IS (pg_get_comment('table') || ' new text');

Dig it, although we probably want the equivalent of:

COMMENT ON table IS (pg_get_comment('table') || '\n\n' || ' new text');

Or something like that.

We could also have new syntax along these lines, for this specific case:

COMMENT ON table ADD ' new text';

Though we have this pretty powerful language, seems a bit of a shame to
invent something new for working with comments.

Agreed and I think that using existing COMMENT ON capability is likely to get this pushed farther down the road.

I wouldn't fight hard to change it but really if we think about it, what makes more sense from usability perspective?

CREATE TABLE foo() COMMENT IS

or

CREATE TABLE foo;
COMMENT ON TABLE foo IS

Thanks,

JD

                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.