On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Joshua D. Drake <j...@commandprompt.com>
wrote:
> I propose:
>
> Add a column to pg_settings comment(text)
> Change the grammar to allow:
>
> ALTER SYSTEM SET configuration_parameter { TO | = } { value | 'value' |
> DEFAULT } COMMENT 'comment'
>
> Example:
>
> ALTER SYSTEM SET maintenance_work_mem TO '1GB' COMMENT IS 'Increased to
> allow autovacuum to be more efficient';
>
> Potential issues:
>
> Does not use existing comment functionality. Alternate solution which would
> decrease functionality is:
>
> COMMENT ON SETTING setting IS 'comment';

I think syntax wise, it makes sense to have both the forms in some way
as proposed by you.  I think providing COMMENT along with ALTER SYSTEM
has the advantage that user can specify it when it specifies the
setting and by providing a separate command facilitates to use it even
when we just want to add/change the comments for a particular setting.

I think Robert [1] and I [2] have made some comments when this topic
was previously discussed which are worth looking if you or someone is
planning to write a patch for this feature.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZBDLhDexHyTJ%3DH0xZt7-6M%3Dh%2Bv2Xi0Myj7Q37QGZQb4g%40mail.gmail.com
[2] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2B%3DovYQqYGHcX2OBU3mk%2BhSHjFDpvmrHCos1Vgj8_b6vg%40mail.gmail.com