On 2017-05-04 17:33:13 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
> >> I didn't think logical decoding was really more than a proof-of-concept
> >> until now.
> >
> > /me searches for jaw on floor.

Yea, this kind of argument is getting really old.  People, including
Robert and I in this thread, have spent tremendous amounts of work on
it.  Not fun to just get that discounted.

> > I would not in any way refer to logical decoding as being only a proof
> > of concept, even before logical replication.
>
> That's fair, but I think I understand what Bruce was going for here.
> Data point: github third party modules are generally not approved for
> deployment in my organization so logical decoding from a production
> perspective does not exist (for me) until 10.0.  Point being, an
> important threshold has been crossed.

By that argument the extension APIs, which after all are what external
FDWs, external index types, postgis, and other extensions use, aren't a
feature of postgres.  Some sites not being able to use external
extensions is *one* argument for building some things into core, but
that doesn't mean the extension APIs don't exist or aren't features.

- Andres