On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 June 2017 at 01:17, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I have started working on updating the patch to use that approach
>>> (BR and AR update triggers on source and destination partition
>>> respectively, instead of delete+insert) The approach taken by the
>>> patch (BR update + delete+insert triggers) didn't require any changes
>>> in the way ExecDelete() and ExecInsert() were called. Now we would
>>> require to skip the delete/insert triggers, so some flags need to be
>>> passed to these functions,

I thought you already need to pass an additional flag for special
handling of ctid in Delete case.  For Insert, a new flag needs to be
passed and need to have a check for that in few places.

> or else have stripped down versions of
>>> ExecDelete() and ExecInsert() which don't do other things like
>>> RETURNING handling and firing triggers.
>>
>> See, that strikes me as a pretty good argument for firing the
>> DELETE+INSERT triggers...
>>
>> I'm not wedded to that approach, but "what makes the code simplest?"
>> is not a bad tiebreak, other things being equal.
>
> Yes, that sounds good to me.

I am okay if we want to go ahead with firing BR UPDATE + DELETE +
INSERT triggers for an Update statement (when row movement happens) on
the argument of code simplicity, but it sounds slightly odd behavior.

> But I think we want to wait for other's
> opinion because it is quite understandable that two triggers firing on
> the same partition sounds odd.

Yeah, but I think we have to rely on docs in this case as behavior is
not intuitive.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.