Satyanarayana Narlapuram <satyanarayana.narlapu...@microsoft.com> writes:
> As a cloud service, Azure Database for PostgreSQL uses a gateway proxy to
> route connections to a node hosting the actual server. To do that, the proxy
> needs to know the name of the server it tries to locate. As a work-around we
> currently overload the username parameter to pass in the server name using
> username@servername convention. It is purely a convention that our customers
> need to follow and understand. We would like to extend the PgSQL connection
> protocol to add an optional parameter for the server name to help with this
> scenario.

We don't actually have any concept of a server name at the moment,
and it isn't very clear what introducing that concept would buy.
Please explain.

> Proposed changes:
> Change the Postgres wire protocol to include server name in the startup
> message. This field can be an optional field driven by the connection
> parameters for psql (-N, --servername).
> We need this extra parameter for backward compatibility.
> Make PostgreSQL server aware of the new field, and accept the startup message
> containing this field. Though server doesn't need this field, this change
> helps making the server name by default included in the startup message in
> future.

This makes no sense at all.  The client is telling the server what the
server's name is?

You're going to need a very substantially more well-reasoned proposal
to have any chance of getting us to make a protocol-level change.