Hi Jeevan,
I have started reviewing these patches.

0001 looks fine. There might be some changes that will be needed, but
those will be clear when I review the patch that uses this
refactoring.

0002
+ *
+ * If targetlist is provided, we use it else use targetlist from the root.
  */
 static double
 get_number_of_groups(PlannerInfo *root,
                     double path_rows,
-                    grouping_sets_data *gd)
+                    grouping_sets_data *gd,
+                    List *tlist)
 {
    Query      *parse = root->parse;
    double      dNumGroups;
+   List       *targetList = (tlist == NIL) ? parse->targetList : tlist;

May be we should just pass targetlist always. Instead of passing NIL,
pass parse->targetList directly. That would save us one conditional
assignment. May be passing NIL is required for the patches that use
this refactoring, but that's not clear as is in this patch.

0003
In the documenation of enable_partition_wise_aggregate, we should
probably explain why the default is off or like partition_wise_join
GUC, explain the consequences of turning it off. I doubt if we could
accept something like partition_wise_agg_cost_factor looks. But we can
discuss this at a later stage. Mean time it may be worthwhile to fix
the reason why we would require this GUC. If the regular aggregation
has cost lesser than partition-wise aggregation in most of the cases,
then probably we need to fix the cost model.

I will continue reviewing rest of the patches.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Jeevan Chalke
<jeevan.cha...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Jeevan Chalke
> <jeevan.cha...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi
>> <rajkumar.raghuwan...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Jeevan,
>>>
>>> I have started testing partition-wise-aggregate and got one observation,
>>> please take a look.
>>> with the v2 patch, here if I change target list order, query is not
>>> picking full partition-wise-aggregate.
>>

>> Thanks Rajkumar for reporting this.
>>
>> I am looking into this issue and will post updated patch with the fix.
>

> Logic for checking whether partition keys lead group by keys needs to be
> updated here. The group by expressions can appear in any order without
> affecting the final result. And thus, the need for partition keys should
> be leading the group by keys to have full aggregation is not mandatory.
> Instead we must ensure that the partition keys are part of the group by
> keys to compute full aggregation on a partition.
>
> Attached, revised patch-set with above fix.
>
> Also, in test-cases, I have removed DROP/ANALYZE commands on child
> relations and also removed VERBOSE from the EXPLAIN.
>
> Notes:
> HEAD: 8edacab209957520423770851351ab4013cb0167
> Partition-wise Join patch-set version: v32
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jeevan Chalke
> Principal Software Engineer, Product Development
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>

> --

Best Wishes,