Manfred Spraul wrote:

Jan Wieck wrote:

_Vacuum page delay_:

Tom Lane's napping during vacuums with another tuning option. I replaced the usleep() call with a PG_DELAY(msec) macro in miscadmin.h, which does use select(2) instead. That should address the possible portability problems.

What about skipping the delay if there are no outstanding disk operations? Then vacuum would get the full disk bandwidth if the system is idle.

All we could do is to monitor our own recent activity. I doubt that anything else would be portable. And on a dedicated DB server that is very close to the truth anyway.

How portable is getrusage()? Could the postmaster issue that frequently for RUSAGE_CHILDREN and leave the result somewhere in the shared memory for whoever is concerned?

Jan