[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If we want to make PostgreSQL a wildly popular product, there will be
> some pain. There should be a "Product Management" group. The
> leader(s) of this group should be chosen carefully, as he (they) must
> be free to define what PostgreSQL is. They must have a good feel for
> product development and understanding of the underlying technology,
> but not be so techie that we don't address the issues intended. They
> must be able to rally the troops and direct development efforts.
> Lastly, he (they) must have the confidence of the core hackers, as it
> is likely that there will be disagreements with the direction of
> PostgreSQL, and it wouldn't work if "Product Management" couldn't
> actually manage what the product was because nobody listened.

I agree with this, more or less.  The lack of leadership that
coordinates all activities actively is really missing.  Unfortunately,
I believe we are already in a state of fragmentation where setting up
something like this is no longer possible.  What the end user sees as a
PostgreSQL system is brought to them by nearly a dozen different groups
nowadays.  And the server group can no longer count on having a
stronger position to pull them all together.  The only option to
achieve what you want soon is to market your own product.