Joshua D. Drake wrote:

If we install plPGSQL by default, we should install any other pl language that was configured at runtime by default as well. This includes plPerl, plTCL, and plPython.

Of course only if they were compiled in, but sense they are a part of the core distribution we shouldn't favor one over the other.

Personally, plpgSQL is only useful to those who are coming from Oracle.
People are more likely to be comfortable with plPython or plPerl than
plpgSQL.

Joshua - as you know I'm a perl fan. But plpgsql is special, for a number of reasons, not least that it doesn't require any extra libraries, and should be installable on every postgresql system.

I know people hate playing favourites, but you can take that too far.

cheers

andrew