Just a reflection from someone who has not been following PostgreSQL that
long...

I think you provide excellent leadership and keep a firm grip on the core
PostgreSQL server. Moving stuff out to Gborg and the discussion regarding
contrib tells me that you want to keep it that way. As I'm a firm beliver in
separation of concern and modularization, I really like that move. The
server group must concentrate on the server.

PosgreSQL is much more than just a server though. Something can be done that
would bring order to the current chaos and make the fragementation a
positive thing. What I think is needed is an architecture that goes beyond
the server. An architecture endorsed by the PostgreSQL. It would of course
include the semantics needed to create and link a plugin but it wouldn't
stop there. A very important feature would be packaging and deployment
(installers etc.). Another would be administration.

The architecture I have in mind *must* be endorsed and controlled by
PostgreSQL. It cannot be delivered by a freestanding group. Still, it's not
core server stuff. This is the means by which PostgreSQL would (re)gain
leadership of the whole thing. You don't need managers, you need a broader
component architecure.

My perception is that you need to somehow fork your efforts and look beyond
the core server horizon. A don't think it's too late. I'm convinced that
everyone that creates products that integrates with PostgreSQL would be more
than  happy to comply (and make additions to) a common architecture if it
would help PostgreSQL to get a wider acceptance.

In short,
You have a great leverage. It's just a matter of using it the right way.

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]