I wrote:
> I suppose there's a bug in this path, but I'm darned if I can see what
> it is.  There are a number of obvious inefficiencies, but those
> shouldn't be important given that this isn't supposed to happen much.
> But how's it getting to the Assert failure?

While I'm disinclined to change anything until we can explain why it's
crashing, I suspect that the solution may be to avoid the recursive call
of SimpleLruReadPage, as in the attached patch.  Jim, are you interested
in seeing if this patch makes the problem go away for you?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq