I wrote:

Bruce Momjian said:
OK, a few things.  First, Tom has fixed snprintf.c so it should
properly process positional parameters now.  Would you first test the
libintl version of *printf to see if it can process %$ parameters
(probably by hacking up any language file and testing the printing),
and then try your patch below to see if it is properly reorders the
arguments.  If libintl does not reorder properly, but our snprintf.c
does, would you please generate an appliable patch we can put into
8.1.X?  Thanks.

I know I am asking a lot, but you are "the man" on this one.  :-)

Since the effect of the configure change I am proposing to reverse was to
force use of the *printf in libintl, don't we already know the answer to
your first question from Nicolai's report?

However, a very simple test shows that the libintl printf does indeed do %m$ processing:

$ cat testpf.c
#include <libintl.h>
main()
{
       printf("%2$s %1$s\n","arg1","arg2");
}
$ gcc -o testpf testpf.c -lintl
$ ./testpf.exe
arg2 arg1
$

So the next question is why isn't it working in the build.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org