> > Question: Is the use of O_TEMPORARY to open() portable? (my
> win32 docs
> > say it will make the file automatically deleted when the last
> > descriptor is closed, which I didn't know before. That
> would make the
> > patch much simpler, but might require #ifdefs?)
>
> I think it would be more elegant if you wrote a replacement
> implementation of
> tmpfile() for pgport and did not change pg_dump at all.
> And/or write a bug to Microsoft about a buggy C library. :)

It's not buggy. It's well documented behaviour,and per my linux manpage
for the file it's also OK per spec:

       The standard does not specify the directory that tmpfile()
       will use. Glibc will try the path prefix P_tmpdir  defined
       in <stdio.h>, and if that fails the directory /tmp.

It's certainly *stupid*, but not buggy ;-)

//Magnus

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend