"Jonah H. Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I think it should certainly be able to run on it's own, but it
> wouldn't be that hard to extend the functions so that they were usable
> from within the database or vice-versa.

Yes it would.  The most obvious point is that memory management and
error handling conventions inside the backend are quite different from
what you'd expect to employ in a standalone program.  Also the means
you'd use for consulting the system catalogs (in that option to provide
readable names for OIDs) are entirely different.

I think asking for support of both environments is a good way to ensure
that this summer project doesn't get finished :-(