Hi,

Andrew Hammond wrote:
 > I can see value in documenting what replication systems are known to
work (for some definition of work) with a given release in the
documentation for that release. Five years down the road when I'm
trying to implement replication for a client who's somehow locked into
postgres 8.2 (for whatever reason), it would be very helpful to know
that slony1.2 is an option. I don't know if this is sufficient
justification.

Please keep in mind, that most replication solutions (that I know of) are quite independent from the PostgreSQL version used. Thus, documenting which version of PostgreSQL can be used with which version of a replication system should better be covered in the documentation of the replication system. Otherwise you would have to update the PostgreSQL documentation for new releases of your favorite replication system - which seems to lead to confusion.

Including a separate page on the history of postgres replication to
date also makes some sense, at least to me. It should be relatively
easy to maintain.

I agree that having such a 'replication guide for users of PostgreSQL' is a good thing to have. But I think not much of that should be part of the official PostgreSQL documentation - mainly because the replication solutions are not part of PostgreSQL.

Regards

Markus