On Aug 8, 2006, at 17:47 , Josh Berkus wrote:

What happens now is:

A starts working on X.
3 months pass
B comes to hackers, spends hours reading the archives, doesn't find X (because they know it by a different name), comes to -hackers and asks "Is anyone working on X?"
B waits for 2 weeks without an answer and repeats the question.
Hackers E, F and G reply "yes, someone is but I don't remember who, search the archives for keyword X"
B searches again, finds original post.
B e-mails A and gets no response.
B finally offers to take over X
Hackers M, L, and N say "sure, but read the archives for spec info"
B reads more archives for several hours.

There's a LOT of unnecessary overhead in that process: having a simple web app that lists who claimed what todo and when, any status updates if they've voluntarily provided them, and links to archive discussions, we could reduce the above to a 3-step process making it vastly easier for new hackers to get started.

A developers' wiki with links into the list archives would be great.

-M