Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 00:52 schrieb Tom Lane:
> A possible solution therefore is to have psql or libpq drive the
> client_encoding off the client's locale environment instead of letting
> it default to equal the server_encoding.

I got started on this and just wanted to post an intermediate patch.  I have
taken the logic from initdb and placed it into libpq and refined the API a
bit.  At this point, there should be no behaviorial change.  It remains to
make libpq use this stuff if PGCLIENTENCODING is not set.  Unless someone
beats me, I'll figure that out later.

--
Peter Eisentraut