Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Summarizing this thread, I see support for the following:

- autovacuum set to on by default in 8.2.

Yes.

- stats_row_level also defaults to on.

Yes.

(Perhaps stats_block_level should also default to on so it's not inconsistent, seeing that everything else in on, too.)

I haven't followed this closely, but are all the other stats commands other than block_level now on by default? In general I would vote to keep it off if not needed just for performance reasons, though I haven't measured the effect of block_level turned on. Anyone measured this?

- Delayed vacuum and delayed autovacuum will stay disabled.

Unfortunately.

- Scale factor set to 0.08 (vacuum) and 0.04 (analyze) (?) (formerly 0.4 and 0.2)

That seems a big jump. BTW, I know .08 and .04 were suggested, but I didn't see confirmation that it was a good idea. I know my initial values were grossly over-conservative, but I am concerned about bogging down the server with lots of vacuums, especially since we don't have the delay settings on by default, nor do we have a maintenance windows yet.

- Leave base thresholds alone (pending further analysis that might remove them altogether?)

While there is talk of removing this all together, I think it was also agreed that as long as these values are there, they should be reduced. I think the defaults in 8.1 are 1000/500, I think 200/100 was suggested.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq