Tom Lane ha scritto:
Matteo Beccati <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
I cannot see anything bad by using something like that:
if (histogram is large/representative enough)

Well, the question is exactly what is "large enough"?  I feel a bit
uncomfortable about applying the idea to a histogram with only 10
entries (especially if we ignore two of 'em).  With 100 or more,
it sounds all right.  What's the breakpoint?

Yes, I think 100-200 could be a good breakpoint. I don't actually know what is the current usage of SET STATISTICS, I usually set it to 1000 for columns which need more precise selectivity.

The breakpoint could be set even higher (500?) so there is space to increase statistics without enabling the histogram check, but I don't feel very comfortable though suggesting this kind of possibly undocumented side effect...

Best ragards
--
Matteo Beccati
http://phpadsnew.com