Pavan Deolasee wrote:
Another simpler solution for VACUUM would be to read the entire CLOG file
in local memory. Most of the transaction status queries can be satisfied
from
this local copy and the normal CLOG is consulted only when the status is
unknown (TRANSACTION_STATUS_IN_PROGRESS)

The clog is only for finished (committed/aborted/crashed) transactions.
If a transaction is in progress, the clog is never consulted. Anyway,
that'd only be reasonable for vacuums, and I'm actually more worried if
we had normal backends thrashing the clog buffers.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas