On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 01:58:38PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> Well to me that gets a little messy. I mean:
> >>
> >> pg_catalog,public,<user schemas>,xml2,ltree (just to get a could
> >> functions?) etc...
> >
> > Not as messy as trying to drop or re-create a package when there
> > are already 500 functions in the public schema.
>
> I am not sure I understand the correlation. I am not suggesting we
> install anything into public. They would all go into a single
> additional schema called extensions or some such.

I don't think "all or nothing" is a good way to do this.  500
functions in a schema called extensions isn't much more helpful than
500 in public.  There's a reason namespaces were invented long ago,
and this is classic use case for same. :)

> >> And have to parse for each extension?
> >
> > I don't see this as a big problem.
>
> Well I am not really interesting in this. Someone else is welcome to
> try that.

It's really not hard, even for a C n00b like me. :)

The only trick here, and again it's not a huge one, is to modify the
postgresql.conf to have the correct default search_path.

Cheers,
David Fetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster