> Given that Simon wants to do away with having the master table APPENDed
> the planning phase, this would be better.

ISTM you're trading appending the master table for appending the DUMP
partition, which afaict would give you no gain.

If there are entries in the master table, I think it would get appended for
all queries regardless of whether we need to examine its contents or not.
Segregating dump data into a partition will avoid that.

I have seen examples in some other databases wherein a partition specifies a
range of "someval - MAXINT" for instance, to catch such cases.

That again means that the onus is on the partition creator most of the

Robert Treat

EnterpriseDB               http://www.enterprisedb.com