"Tom Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I wrote:
>> Uh ... so the lock-file stuff is completely broken on Windows?
> Not so much broken as commented out ... on looking at the code, it's
> blindingly obvious that we don't even try to create a socket lock file
> if not HAVE_UNIX_SOCKETS.  Sigh.

Isn't the socket lock file only there to protect the socket?

> There is a related risk even on Unix machines: two postmasters can be
> started on the same port number if they have different settings of
> unix_socket_directory, and then it's indeterminate which one you will
> contact if you connect to the TCP port.  I seem to recall that we
> discussed this several years ago, and didn't really find a satisfactory
> way of interlocking the TCP port per se.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/src/local-concurrent-psql/pgsql/src/bin/psql$
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /var/tmp/db2
LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few
seconds and retry.
WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "localhost"
FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

Is it possible the previous discussion related to servers with IPv6 where they
did manage to bind to one but not the other?

  Gregory Stark