Tom Lane wrote:
     Setting the SO_REUSEADDR option allows the local socket address to be
     reused in subsequent calls to bind().  This permits multiple
     SOCK_STREAM sockets to be bound to the same local address, as long as
     all existing sockets with the desired local address are in a connected
     state before bind() is called for a new socket.

The bit about "connected state" is relevant here --- a listening socket
isn't connected.  Time for more caffeine.

That's what I thought it meant. I am glad to see that I am not quite as out of date as I thought I must be reading upthread :-)