Based on our progress during this feature freeze, we will not complete
the feature freeze until August/September.  I think we need adjust
expectations about an 8.3 release date, and decide if we want to
radically change our work process.

Basically, to make a release anywhere near July, we need 10x more
progress than we have had, which is unlikely.

We could ship what is in CVS now, but that just pushes the patches for
8.4, and isn't fair to patch submitters.  We could shove what we have
now into CVS, but that is unwise.

I think the only other thing we _could_ do is to re-open normal 8.3
development, so we aren't hampering updates to trivial parts of the
code. Many of the patches now in the queue had been developed for months
before 8.3 started, so the hope is that we wouldn't have many more new
large patches, but several small ones we could deal with while we
whittle away at the larger patches during the next few months.

The question is whether it is healthy for us to remain in feature freeze
for months, and if it is unhealthy, what are our options?

Patch status:

  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to [EMAIL PROTECTED] so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Reply via email to