Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > > hrm - I see so is there a particular reason for that behaviour ?
> >
> > They're stable until Bruce removes something from the queue. When
> > something is removed, it's renumbered.
> >
> > It's how mhonarc works. It's the same with the archives - if we delete a
> > mail, they get renumbered. So we never should delete, we should just
> > blank out, but it has happened a couple of times.
>
> As I proposed for many times, why don't we add message number to each
> subject line in mail? For example like this:
>
> [HACKERS: 12345] Re: Not ready for 8.3
>
> This way, we could always obtain stable (logical) pointer, without
> reling on particular archival infrastructure.

While that helps, it does not actually allow software to link the
threads together, i.e. it can't tell which is the head and tail of the
thread.  The actual software needs to improve because the thread
information is already part of the email headers.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://momjian.us

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend