Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Alvaro Herrera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >>
> >> Reading the commit message about the TZ encoding issue I'm curious why this
> >> isn't a more widespread problem. How does gettext now what encoding we want
> >> messages in? How do we prevent things like to_char(now(),'month') from
> >> producing strings in an encoding different from the database's encoding?
> >
> > The PO files include encoding information, so it's easy for the server
> > to recode them from that to the server (or client) encoding, as
> > appropriate.
> So does the _() macro automatically recode it to the current server encoding?

Well, I'm not sure if it's _(), elog() or what, but it does get recoded.
If I have a different client_encoding and get a NOTICE, then both the
server and client get a message in the corresponding encoding.

In fact this is the reason for the most common "PANIC: stack overflow"
in elog.c error stack.  When a message needs to be recoded but the
recoding procedure errors out, it wants to report that and this one also
fails, you get infinite recursion and nothing can get reported.

Alvaro Herrera

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend