The problem I saw was first highlighted by EAStress runs with PostgreSQL on Solaris with 120-150 users. I just replicated that via my smaller internal benchmark that we use here to recreate that problem.

EAStress should be just fine to highlight it.. Just put pg_clog on O_DIRECT or something so that all IOs go to disk making it easier to observe.

In the meanwhile I will try to get more information.

Regards,
Jignesh

Tom Lane wrote:
Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Didn't we already go through this? He and Simon were pushing to bump up
NUM_CLOG_BUFFERS and you were arguing that the test wasn't representative and
some other clog.c would have to be reengineered to scale well to larger
values.

AFAIR we never did get any clear explanation of what the test case is.
I guess it must be write-mostly, else lazy XID assignment would have
helped this by reducing the rate of XID consumption.

It's still true that I'm leery of a large increase in the number of
buffers without reengineering slru.c.  That code was written on the
assumption that there were few enough buffers that a linear search
would be fine.  I'd hold still for 16, or maybe even 32, but I dunno
how much impact that will have for such a test case.

       match