Tony Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On 04 May 2001 10:29:50 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Does this happen with a non-multibyte-compiled database?  If so, I'd
>> argue that's a serious bug in the JDBC code: it makes JDBC unusable
>> for non-ASCII 8-bit character sets, unless one puts up with the overhead
>> of MULTIBYTE support.

> I fought with this for a few days. The solution is to dump the database
> and create a new database with the correct encoding.

> MULTIBYTE is not neccesary I just set the type to LATIN1 and it works
> fine.

But a non-MULTIBYTE backend doesn't even have the concept of "setting
the encoding" --- it will always just report SQL_ASCII.

Perhaps what this really says is that it'd be better if the JDBC code
assumed LATIN1 translations when the backend claims SQL_ASCII.
Certainly, translating all high-bit-set characters to '?' is about as
uselessly obstructionist a policy as I can think of...

                        regards, tom lane