create index orad_id_index on orderadvice (orad_id) where orad_deleteddate
is null;
create index orad_name_index on orderadvice (orad_name) where
orad_deleteddate is null;

create view orderadvice_edit as select
orad_id,orad_name,orad_description,orad_value,orad_value_quan from
orderadvice where orad_deleteddate is null;

Would queries like 'select * from orderadvice_edit where orad_id=100' or
'select * from orderadvice_edit order by orad_name' both use one of these
two partial indexes, given enough records are present in the table?

There would be a double index on the primary key this way, right?

It looks much better now. I'm not sure about the second index. Probably it will be useless, because you sort ALL records with deleteddtata is null. Maybe the first index will be enough.

I'm not sure what to do with doubled index on a primary key field.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend