>> echo "effective_cache_size = $((`sysctl -n vfs.hibufspace` / 8192))"
>>
>> I've used it for my dedicated servers.  Is this calculation correct?

SC> Yes, or it's real close at least.  vfs.hibufspace is the amount of
SC> kernel space that's used for caching IO operations (minus the

I'm just curious if anyone has a tip to increase the amount of memory
FreeBSD will use for the cache?  It appears to me that even on my 2Gb
box, lots of memory is 'free' that could be used for the cache
(bumping up shared buffers is another option...) yet the disk is being
highly utilized according to systat.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster