In the last exciting episode, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rajesh Kumar Mallah) wrote:
>>> Can you please have a Look at the below and suggest why it
>>> apparently puts 7.3.4 on an infinite loop . the CPU utilisation of the backend
>>> running it
>>> approches 99%.
>> What would be useful, for this case, would be to provide the query plan, perhaps via
>>  EXPLAIN [Big Long Query].
>> The difference between that EXPLAIN and what you get on 7.4 might be quite
>> interesting.
>> I would think it quite unlikely that it is truly an "infinite" loop; it is rather
>> more likely
>> that the plan winds up being pretty bad and doing something [a bunch of nested
>> loops, maybe?]
>> that run longer than your patience will permit.
> :-)   ok i will leave it running and try to get it.

No, if you just do EXPLAIN (and not EXPLAIN ANALYZE), that returns
without executing the query.

If the query runs for a really long time, then we _know_ that there is
something troublesome.  EXPLAIN (no ANALYZE) should provide some
insight without having anything run for a long time.

If EXPLAIN [big long query] turns into what you are terming an
"infinite loop," then you have a quite different problem, and it would
be very useful to know that.
This is Linux country.  On a quiet night, you can hear NT re-boot.