On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 01:15:44AM +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Actually PostgreSQL is at par with  MySQL when the query is being Properly
> Written(simplified)
> In mysql:
> mysql> SELECT DISTINCT main.* FROM Groups main join  Principals  Principals_1
> using(id) join  ACL
> ACL_2 on (ACL_2.PrincipalId = Principals_1.id)

Interesting, last time I looked, this syntax wasn't valid on mysql.
And I'm not familiar with the "using(id)" notation. Can you point me at
proper docs on it?

> So its not just PostgreSQL that is suffering from the bad SQL but MySQL also.
> But the question is my does PostgreSQL suffer so badly ??
> I think not all developers write very nice SQLs.
> Its really sad to see that a fine peice of work (RT) is performing sub-optimal
> becoz of malformed SQLs.  [ specially on database of my choice ;-) ]

Can you try using SearchBuilder 0.90? That made certain optimizations to
the postgres query builder that got backed out in 0.92, due to a
possible really bad failure mode. Thankfully, because all of this is
machine generated SQL we can just improve the generator, rather than
having to retool the entire application.

jesse reed vincent -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If IBM _wanted_ to make clones, we could make them cheaper and faster than
anyone else!"  - An IBM Rep. visiting Vassar College's Comp Sci Department.