Hi,

The performance will likely to be the same. Its just that integer happens to
be default integer type and hence it does not need an explicit typecast. ( I
don't remember exactly which integer is default but it is either of int2,int4
and int8...:-))

The docs say int4 is much faster than int8, but i will check this.

The performance diffference is likely due to use of index, which is in turn
due to typecasting. If you need bigint, you should use them. Just remember to
typecast whenever required.

This is my bigger problem: i am using EOF (OR mapping tool) which frees me more or less form writing a lot of SQL. If i need to typecast to use an index then i have to see how to do this with this framework.

Regards David