Dave Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> So the the kernel/OS is irrelevant here ? this happens on any dual xeon?

I believe so.  The context-switch behavior might possibly be a little
more pleasant on other kernels, but the underlying spinlock problem is
not dependent on the kernel.

> What about hypterthreading does it still happen if HTT is turned off ?

The problem comes from keeping the caches synchronized between multiple
physical CPUs.  AFAICS enabling HTT wouldn't make it worse, because a
hyperthreaded processor still only has one cache.

                        regards, tom lane